What are your driver license requirements for renting in South Africa?
Customers who reside in South Africa must present a valid, unexpired government-issued driver's licence which includes a photograph of the customer. Digital licenses are not accepted. The driver's licence must be valid for the entire rental period.
International renters travelling to South Africa:
It is important that customers check with the South African National Road Traffic Act, 1996 to ensure compliance with the country’s various licencing laws. The following practices are used to ensure the customer is presenting a facially valid licence at the time of rental.
Customers traveling to South Africa from another country must present the following:
- Their home country driver's licence that is valid, unexpired and includes a photograph. Digital licences are not accepted
-If the home country driver's licence is in a language other than English and the letters are English (i.e. German, Spanish, etc.) an International Driver's Permit is recommended, but not required, for translation purposes in addition to the home country driver's licence.
- If the home country driver's licence is in a language other than English and the letters are not English (i.e. alphabet is not an extended Latin-based alphabet like German or Spanish but is Russian, Japanese, Arabic, etc.) an International Driver's Permit is required.
- If an International Driver's Permit cannot be obtained in the home country, another professional, type-written translation may be substituted. In either case, the home country driver's licence must also be presented.
- Customers may not rent a vehicle solely with the International Driver's Permit. The International Driver's Permit is a translation of the individual's home country driver's licence and is not considered a licence nor is it considered valid identification.
- In some locations, customers may be asked to provide additional valid government-issued documentation.
- Photocopies of driver's licences are not accepted
- Learner's Licences are not accepted
- Any licence which, on its face, restricts the licensee to the use and operation of a vehicle equipped with a form of a breathalyser apparatus is not accepted
Temporary driver's licences may be refused if the renting location is unable to otherwise verify the customer's identity or verify the authenticity of the temporary licence. Additional government-issued identification may be required.
<< Go Back to Full List of FAQs